Of two vowels, two consonants and two fools

One of the earliest definitions I remember of love was " It is something with two vowels, two consonants and two fools". I know of one. Me.

Lately I have been thinking of her a lot. Her face, her eyes, her cute smile. The way her hair felt. Her voice. The way she pronounced my name. The way she had to be the person to say the last word. The way she sometimes wrote such predicatable responses to your sms which strangely warmed your heart. Her enviable knowledge of the Zodiac signs. Her ability to remember everyone's birthdays. The way she loved animals but at the same time was afraid of cats and dogs. Her love of Priety Zinta and dislike of Salman Khan. The way she said she absolutely loved every present I ever gave her. The way sometimes she lied so that I felt happy. The way she said Hello. The way she said Good Bye. Her. She. I just lay on my bed thinking. Wishing and hoping that what was could be what is. Hours together with no care for time. I just lay on my bed, thinking...

The first time we met was in a rather inconspicuous cafe near her house. It isnt that much of a cafe as a place where you get tea and coffee, but it sounds much more classly when termed a cafe. It had been raining and I had been caught rather unaware and headed for the nearest shelter, the cafe. A few minutes later as I was sipping this wonderful cup of steaming tea, in she walked. She was looking rather confused, confused not because of the rain like I for she had had an umbrella. Rather she was confused at the unusual crowd that had gathered at this place. In fact, all the tables were occupied and she had no option but to stand and drink her cup of hot Cappachino. Out of pity and more out of a sudden sense of uncharacteristic chivalry, I offered my seat. I suppose that was the first time I realised what eye contact was. Yes, we have seen it in a million movies and yes it is the essential ingredient in any insipid love story which we rubbish away as phooey. Perhaps from ignorance. But it is true. I know. Our eyes gazed into each others endlessly as if we were exploring each other's minds telepathically. It was atleast 5 minutes before I suddenly slipped out of the trance, glanced around sheepishly and cleared my throat a couple of times. The spell broke for her too as she instantly looked away, then at the floor and then at her cup of coffee. It had become cold.

Many months have passed from that first day. Many wonderful days. Days at the beach, at the cinema. Many a lunch and even a few dinners. Sometimes in conversations, all of the participants become silent at once. A kind of uncomforable feeling envelops everyone. But when we were quiet it wasnt like that. Wasnt even close. It was as if we were talking but our mouths not moving. I know it sounds contrived and like a cheesy corny skin flick from Bollywood. But alas it was true. Those days were truly unforgettable.

But now things have changed. Geographically, mentally and physically. Perhaps I am not the guy I once was, wooing and charming her at every chance I got. Perhaps I just lost interest in her. In the whole razzmatazz. Long drawn conversations drizzled into short courtesy calls which slowly mellowed into single word emails and now, it is all but a memory. But then " Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose". Ironically that quote is from a television series we both shared a passion for - The Wonder Years.

Ah Love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very Important Note:
Some of the incidents above bear references to actual incidents/feelings/emotions of the writer.
Some of the remaining incidents bear references to those of two of his close friends.
The remaining are fictional.

Very Very Important Note:
The first sentence in the Note above is not true. Ergo, only the last two are true. The writer wrote the first line just to psyche you (:D). However he is not averse to it becoming true. Feel free to fix him up with anyone you feel fit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you sob...
i was actually feeling pity for you ...till i read ur notes.
Anyway i give it to you.Very well written..you managed to stir me.
--phantom
Anonymous said…
you sob...
i was actually feeling pity for you ...till i read ur notes.
Anyway i give it to you.Very well written..you managed to stir me.
--phantom

Popular posts from this blog

Abracadabra

Requiem for a Blog…. Naah, You’re a Rockstar!

Hey, I lost a week somewhere