Where were you when we were getting high?

No there is nothing in this post about anyone getting high.It is just that it is rather high time that Monsieur Helmet updated his blog. There have some interesting developments in the life of this protogonist, some of them involving this very blog. But for reasons perhaps beyond the intellectual capacity of normal mortals and/or other personal reasons these remain mere references, nothing more.

Alas, this blogger has also been stricken with an acute case of blogblockitis and the cure for the same is usually but a banally morbid post about the everyday rituals encompassing trivialities like sleeping, eating and brushing one's teeth. But nay, I decided to take the path less travelled and rather write about something else. Not about quake (/etc/passwd rocks :D /etc rulz :D ), not about juggling (you have learnt well young dasan), not about poker (no comments).

One who is jobless enough to be frequenting my blog knows well of my rather trustworthy vehicle. My blue flatron bicycle. One of only three in the insti and perhaps the city, for the production was stopped the very next year to the year of introduction which coincided with my entrance to these hallowed portals. Trustworthy vehicle for two main reasons. It serves me well when in working condition but also goes on a metaphorical sick leave for periods of two weeks during which I get good exercise by walking. About this much has been already painstakingly penned in a previous post.

The incident in question happened only today, or rather tonight. From the above paragraph it is quite clear that my cycle is currently on leave, for a punctured tyre this time. Since a month has gone by since the semester began, CC and I (a classmate aka Ranjit) decided it was time to meet our professor for a self study course in order to discuss the "syllabus" we were to cover and other realted academic formalities. Truth be told, I have been trying to meet him for some time now and since he is a busy man, havent been able to. (trying to meet him => once thought about it). So CC tells me , lets meet him today da at 9pm and I reply Ok. (I reiterate this guy is a busy prof and we can but meet him ~ late nights or early mornings and if youre lucky enough to strike a royal flush in your first set of cards, even during class hours)

The stretch between the hostel and the Department is a, well, shady one, especially at night. Actually the path from just before the Chemistry department to BSB is. Today as I walked this particularly well laid road, quite a oxymoron taking into account that IIt Madras is in Chennai, there was this smell of wetness in the air. Not the smell of rain, that is far too intoxicating. Also, the roads were lonely and apart from the lone motorbike zipping past you at Mach-3 and few cyclists who can be heard muttering to themselves, cursing the professor who called them wherever at this wierd time, it is quite eerie. And the yellow sodium lamps make it movielike. Add to that grotesquely shaped trees on either side canopying the path rather beautifully. The end result? A slightly spooked appreciater of nature...

As the road turned to the right, the buildings of ESB and LHC rose on both sides reminding me of a scene from LOTR-1. The one with two huge statues on either side of a river as the boat carrying the fellowship of the ring passes them in a exquisitely well taken scene. Actually, these buildings, all buildings in IIT for that matter somehow remind me of Ayn Rand and Howard Roark. I dont know why, but they do. Anyways, this particular stretch of road which I had traversed so many times before somehow looked different. I had never noticed the trees on either side; on one side coconut trees (or was it palm) and the other some coniferous trees (I could be wrong, don't like biology all that much and I'm sure that the feelings mutual). But I then realised that someone had gone through the trouble of decorating this place purposely placing similar trees on the same side perhaps trying to say something... Bah, I read too many arbit books like Da Vinci Code and Codex...

The next part was a fork in the road, one leading to the back entrance of CRC and the other, to the front. Taking the latter, I had left the dimly lit part of my short walk. With but moonlight as my companion, I had entered back into a sodium yellow lighted road and I rushed through this part because it was at this very place a previous night I had seen a huge black scorpion. Being not particularly found of these creatures I vividly remembered thinking to myself, whichever idiot is going to walk these roads at this time in the night is going to get a rude shock... talk about ironic words...

As I neared BSB, I had but to traverse a mud path consisting of roots of trees and myriad stones and rocks. And on arriving at the front of BSB, I was greeted by CC as we proceeded to go to the professor's lab.

Needless to say, he wasn't there.


How many special people change
How many lives are living strange
Where were you when we were getting high?
Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannon ball
Where were you while we were getting high?

Some day you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky
Some day you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova
A champagne supernova in the sky



PS: Forgive me for the title and the last few words. Something for me to look back on many years later and understand... :P.

Comments

senti said…
hey macha that road is scary.remember in first year-cs110 lab-and that too at night.i got really scared of walking into that pitch black darkness sometimes.
dei. enna da. high aa irundiyaa?..things always look like they're out of lotr when u r high. that's an indicator of how that book was written. one word..pipeweed!
San said…
CHi CHi I wasnt high and all... it has another metaphorical metaphysical and meta(etc.) meaning :).

By the way hows life da JC?

Popular posts from this blog

Abracadabra

Hey, I lost a week somewhere

C'est la vie