The Thin Line

Dear Diary,

Today school was quite boring save for a very strange happening. As is evident, my rather colourless life in this strict no-nonsense Boys-And-Girls-Are-Forbidden-Even-Visual-Contact-School, has steered away from the mention of any young guys. But today I had the utmost displeasure of meeting one of these guys. The topper of the boys’ school, in fact. Usually I try to contain my disgust at meeting repulsive people but then again who else could possibly be reading my diary. (Except my somewhat rude and brusque brother…) This guy, let us call him ST, can best be described as resembling the underbelly of a frog. Make that an ugly frog. And the worst part was that I think he liked me. I had the funniest feeling he kept stealing glances at me… Yuck!

Dear Diary,

After a long time, I am finding some hidden enthusiasm to study! Perhaps it’s because I am doing so well in school that all of a sudden all I want to do is pick up some book and start learning and revising… I sincerely hope this zeal is not short-lived… Also ST called me for the first time today; in fact he called our landline! Ostensibly to congratulate me on doing well in the exams even though he got more marks than me… idiot. But it was really fun talking to him… we talked nearly for half an hour. I remember that the first time I mentioned him in my diary I made an uncalled-for discourteous boorish reference to him involving an amphibian… truth be told, he still does remind me of the same… just not an ugly frog… In other unrelated news, Surya looks amazing in his new film. My brother came home from hostel today and true to his style, compared the new look of Surya to a beggar, a rowdy, a mental patient and a character out of a Looney toons show. Amusing albeit oh-so-not-true!

Dear Diary,

As my annual exams come to an end, it has been a tiring and painful ride this year at school. Exams were taxing and at some points I just wanted to throw my books away in the sheer angst of the system. Indian academia is all screwed up. Or I think that’s what Amma said. ST laughed when I told him this and replied India is all screwed up… crazy fool he is. But what can I do? I seem to be talking to him a lot these days… in fact for all you know, I could be obsessed with him. OBSESSED! I am fixated on him, of all the people in the world. Of all the Orlando Blooms and Suryas and such… this is quite depressing for me. I think I should try to avoid him for a while… get back in tune with reality…. Who am I kidding?

Dear Diary,

Finally a brief reprieve from exams. I feel that all I am doing these days is looking at books and writing papers. I have been cautious to use “looking at books” because it is quite debatable whether I am actually acquiring any additional knowledge these days with a book in my hand. Revision is so drab and sometimes I feel I may be unlearning things! My phone calls are the only things that help me cling to the semblances of sanity that I still retain. Radhika tells me I am studying too much and should take a break. Her idea of a break involves a lot of Inu Yasha! Chaya agrees with Radhika on the first remark but is adamant that I should get myself a boyfriend! I can’t wait to tell Amma that one… already her opinion of Chaya is at an all-time low… judgmental nadir so to speak. ST and I speak more often these days and if not on the phone, there’s always Yahoo. Recently ST told me he has a girlfriend but he refused to divulge more details. Personally I think he is just lieing, trying to show off, but then why could that be…

Dear Diary,

After many days of heated discussion with Amma and even some terse yet interesting views of my brother, the proverbial cat is out of the bag. What began as an exercise in stupidity has escalated to new heights of joblessness (only that hopefully). ST sort of admitted that it was he who was chatting under the pseudonym of Anniyan and Roberto. I was already kind of sure it was him, but anyways I think he said so himself today. But he still vehemently persists that Riya is his girlfriend; could it be that what Amma says is true and she also is yet another nom de plume of his? Uh, to think that I was obsessed with this guy! What a joke… I wrote a new poem today about euthanasia. I got a lot of rave reviews including advice to talk to a shrink. Supposedly I am now obsessed with death. From the frying pan, into the fire!?!

Dear Diary,

I had a conference with ST and Riya on the phone. I wonder why that idiot makes me go through this ordeal every time. I hate talking to that girl and I abhor talking to both of them simulataneously...He claims she is clever because she helps her friends cheat using chits in the exam. What a loser… Appa is getting worried that I keep talking to ST a lot these days. Our telephonic interactions stretch to half an hour almost daily and the chatting is beyond countable means. I told my brother I read his blog and he wasn’t at all shocked as I expected him to be. He just replied asking “Are you still obsessed with him?” and though the “him” was unreferenced, I knew he could have been alluding to just one thing… I don’t know whether to be angry at him or not.

Dear Diary,

New Years passed eventless but we all stayed up beyond midnight. Bro seemed disinterested in the whole thing; kept claiming New Year was a farce… Talked to Chaya and ST and wished them a Happy New Year… I hope this year will be great because I will be giving my 12th standard exams in less than 4 months! I guess I will be doing medicine soon enough, hopefully in Ramachandra. Soon.

Dear Diary,

Today is my birthday! I am seventeen! Yeah!

This post contains characters and events some of which bear references to actual people and their lives. Since I am neither omnipresent nor omnipotent, not all of it is true. Parts of the above are products of the brilliant creativity of the twisted mind of yours truly. Offense to any party concerned is regrettable.

Happy Birthday Sis!

Comments

Ganesh said…
Blogging at 7 in the morning!! level da!! there is something about your blog that makes me keep waiting for something new on the rss feed of your blog and it makes me wants to come and read the post..though sometimes the comments you get have a story of them ;) and this post dint disappoint either..keep it coming!!
- Ubiquitous - said…
Oh gosh, just when I was beginning to think you're a transvestite, I came to the last line.

Phew!!

Happy Bday to your sis as well.

Bout ST - well, every frog has its day

:D
senti said…
say happy birthday to your sister from me too.that surya episode had me in laughter da!
Blunt said…
What da???? 7 in the morning and that too such a long one eh??

mummy
*resounding slap*
do something....maybe gimme a treat :P
Jah said…
What da ? Is this some revenge types ??
San said…
@Jigs: What was that about the comments :-/... and thanks...

@"U",yes you: Thank God I added the last line... ;)

@Senti: You should see him da, you'll obviously agree...

@Blunt: *Dodges the resounding slap* dei, treat and all are there... :D

@Dasan: NO revenge fundaes da... just something I thought of... :P
- Ubiquitous - said…
Yeah, or you'd be in Diar-y Straits for not being straight :D
San said…
@U,U,U: too much PJ :P... btw the real Dire Straits totally rock!

@Scouty: aiye, so much feeling :P... btw female-of-thambi is thange.
TenG said…
oh. now i get it! i was wondering what it all meant. a belated happy bday to everyone!!!
- Ubiquitous - said…
Eyy, HAPPY PONGAL!!

Ooooh yes, DS is one of my favourites!

*bows to the Sultans of Swing*
Nilambar said…
hope ur sis is as pleased with this post as u r :D ... happy pongal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Abracadabra

Requiem for a Blog…. Naah, You’re a Rockstar!

Hey, I lost a week somewhere