Its been a hard day's work :D

So here I am, three days in Bangalore. Well, not much has happened. Adjusting to life mainly. So any attempt by me to essay a post will probably encompass all that is quite banally normal. Though there still remains much curiosity even in the mundane when it is rightly described. That said, let me try to be a diligent servant of my senses as I address the situation at hand.

The guesthouse. A cozy place in HSR Layout. I suppose when one lives in a squalid single IITian room for the most part of his semester, anything else seems palacial. The rooms are actually quite big for two people which is how we are sharing it at the moment. More to be said about the residents of the guesthouse soon.A welcome respite to my ennui is in the refreshing form of cable television with hbo,star movies,starsports,espn, et al. That too for a CAS-enforced outcast. The caretaker of this guesthouse, who manages the cooking and cleaning and laundry, is a typical tamilian character hailing from the city of Madurai. Not much can be said about him perhaps for lack of idiosyncracies or maybe more for lack of interest.

The fellow interns. There are so far eight of us though I hear a couple will be joining us shortly. I guess knowing them but for three days doesnt exactly entertain a great study of their characters but it is said that first impressions are the best impressions. So a brief description about each of them.

Himanshu - I wonder why I put his name first. I somehow envisage him as the leader of our group. He is from IIT-kgp and has been here for two weeks now. Very friendly guy. Seems to be very smart and fun.

Ankush - This guy is from IIT Kanpur. Has been talking with me from day 1 asking things varying wildly from quake, AIR and movies. Seems to be a dedicated chap though distractable.

Pani - The only guy with which we have attributed a nick. His name is some D* Pani (I don't quite know his whole name) and everyone seems to be comfortable calling him Pani. Very avid bookreader and apparently a fellow football enthusiast, I would term Pani the most interesting person I have met among the interns. He is a total workaholic and is so dedicated to his work. He even skips lunch coz it makes him sleepy.He is also a thinker or so he claims...

Karthik - This Anna Univ guy, tam, reminds me of another Anna Univ guy, a certain Shyam, I had met some time back during the Lucent interview, coincidentally , also in Bangalore. Karthik is confident and sure of himself and he is my lone tam confidant.Not that I have had any secrets to share so far...

Harsh and Abhinav - These two guys from Pune Univ are here for 6 months! I somehow feel it appropriate to address them together though they are hardly alike. Just that they seem to hang around a lot. But lets just say I have a feeling that we'll be having a lot of fun together...

Rohit - My roommate.Perhaps the unluckiest because he seems to have gotten himself quite a demanding mentor. This guy had tickets to the Satriani show and couldn't go beacuse of office commitments. On the second day of his internship! Nice guy though.

And me - enough said about me already :D.

Anyways, I should also include something about my mentor Mohit. Seems really cool and peaceful. Veru friendly and somehow, don't ask me how and why because you will want to, he reminds me of Topa, the Jam stud. (Don't you want to know how and why? I really don't know)

So I think that's pretty much the situation at hand. Rather decently addressed I would say. Though lacking pretty words and intelligible vocabulary. Come to think of it, there is one more thing.

This internship has also somehow evoked a long lost literary love for me.That is, if you could call picking up a book "literary love". But take into account that I havent read a book in like a year now, you'd probably have to agree. And it isnt something like the Calvin and Hobbes book that I have been yearning to read for a looooong time now. This is Moon and Sixpence by a certain Somerset Maugham. I decided to read this book primarily for two reasons. One, it played a rather important role in my second year crossword position and I have fancied it ever since. Two and probably more importantly, the cable was off for a couple of hours on Monday and circumsatnces led me to ask Pani for a distraction because I felt anything would be more fun than staring blankly into the wall and ceiling. So there, I started reading this book which I feel is rather brilliantly written. It is rather in tatters though much delight can be elicited from reading the intricate storyline, vivd descriptions and the awesome language in each frayed page ...

I think I like this book. But only time can tell. Much like I say I think I like the stay here. The internship. Life. And all that jazz...

Comments

Anonymous said…
dus log maen ek /bak..../
samba bahuuut baimaani hae re..

Popular posts from this blog

Abracadabra

Hey, I lost a week somewhere

C'est la vie