Me, Myself and Dr. Frasier Crane

Ahh, madness. This final semester is getting to be painfully peaceful. You know the oxymorons you hate? This one scores pretty high up there. Having no responsibilities or commitments is brilliant, its like a second chance at childhood. But then after a while, the humdrum daily monotony gets on your nerves.

A great way to beat the same is movies and sitcoms. Off late, Frasier helped me tackle a couple of weeks of boredom but he was ably supported by the likes of Munich and Syriana, which by the way are amazing must-see movies. I got to see two seasons of Frasier, the 7th and the 8th and in case you’re wondering if the 8th season of Frasier was indeed the last one, like I thought before venturing on this voyage, you’re mistaken. Apparently there are 3 more seasons, which I came to know off only after I watched the last episode of the 8th season with bated breath and a ready-to-say-“aww” attitude. When the episode ended abruptly and at loose ends, my worst fears, well temporarily my worst fears, ummm naah…well for that moment my worst fears, umm naah… ok my somewhat bad fears :), were confirmed. Ah, you win some, you lose some.

Frasier is a great character. He is sophisticated, a patron of the arts and best of all, he is a wine connoisseur. I think that somehow I started associating myself with the character, hoping that some day I too will be as refined in taste and moral fiber. I love the way he quotes random authors and poets. The way he speaks French. And the way he loses control when he thinks he is in love. The nonpareil hopeless romantic. And the way he acts like the egoistic and egotistic individual but yet, when the right time comes, considers the feelings of other people perhaps judging them more important than his own. But all said and done, I would never want to be Frasier. Well, first of all he is a psychiatrist ergo a believer of biology and hence inherently faulted. And secondly, he is bald… :p.

But seriously, don’t we all love the people who can appreciate the big paintings with nothing but a lonely red dot on a white canvas? And don’t we all yearn to be the guy who looks at a wine menu and with a graceful flick of the wrist is able to point to a lexically convoluted name, which by the way, turns out to be quite delightful to the palate? I don’t know about us, but I sure feel this way. Now, to learn some French to understand those names…

Egotistic. What a beautiful adjective. Just the other day, I was talking to a friend and the conversation went something like this:

Friend: Hey, is there a match today?
Me: Yeah I think so (with a rather quizzical look on my face since I didn’t know he cared to know about hostel football matches)
Friend: Oh, has it started?
Me: (Now I’m more like dumbstruck) No, junta have classes now (it was around afternoon time)
Friend: (Positively nonplussed) Huh? (Turns ever so slightly towards the common room alluding to the possible cricket match)
Me: (A few moments of silence later) Oh! (Totally laughing at myself) I have no idea da!
Friend: What the…

Perhaps I was just preoccupied. Perhaps not.

Hopeless romantic. The type that woo women with flowers and chocolates. And singing ballads. The type that wait for the ideal quintessential romantic opportunity to propose, that solitary moment which is all that the incompatible couple of time and perfection can afford. And yes, they have a way with words :D.

Now that love is in the air, something called Valentine’s Day is on the cards. Personally, I think it’s a highly contrived and commercialized concept with the prime motive to capitalize on the feelings of hapless unsuspecting couples yearning for more occasions to prove their ostensibly unending love for each other. Bah humbug. Mother’s day, Father’s day, this day and that. But it’s amazing, I wonder why the corresponding Brother’s day or Sister’s day hasn’t gained all that popularity. Perhaps there is already enough bonding between siblings? Naah, impossible. :P.

All said and done, I’m still open to the idea of someone proving to me that my theories are wrong and downright despicable. Especially the one about Valentine’s Day. Tuesday? Yes, Tuesday would be good. Maybe over a hot cup of tea. Not coffee.

Frasier: There's an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building block of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.

Well anyways, its good bye for now.

And good mental health.

Comments

- Ubiquitous - said…
I don't watch Frasier, so can't comment much on the same.

Ah! Bout V-day, there was a faint smile on my lips which vanished when I read that the author does not want coffee.

And the smile refuses to return.

About Siblings day, well, what can the 'card-pickers' do? The way kids fight these days, there's almost a nibbling rivalry.

The concept of a 'Rakhi brother' never ceases to amuse me, though.

One year, they're tying the Rakhi and the next, they tie the knot!

What a blunderful world...
senti said…
cool post!by the way hole is back and has posted twice.
R said…
Saw both Munich and Syriana. both are awesome movies. tried Proof? really good movie about a geek mathematician family. watch it.

agree with ya totally on all the excuses to celebrate a day. waste of time n resources.

btw wanna be my date on valentine's???? (Me down to my knees n beggin)
San said…
@Reyn: Well you should Frasier... its excellent... and smile! Coffee ain't forever, it's like cold November rain :). LOL @ tying the Rakhi and then the know :P.

@Senti: Thanks and yes, I noticed!

@StD: You know it da... I'm sorry :D.
R said…
sniff sniff

anyway hope sustains life! :)
Blunt said…
For a second i thought what the hell is wrong with you? Why do you want to become a baldy with interests in bio?? But max peace in life that those were the same questions raised by your conscience :P

Love is in the air
It's everywhere
But I am not complaining
Just ranting my way out of it
Thats what I could make out from what you have written :P
Jah said…
Ross (or is it rose) is hot... But my fav frasier character is Niles...

Popular posts from this blog

Abracadabra

Hey, I lost a week somewhere

C'est la vie